Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Nat Wolff talks TFIOS with Complex

Nat Wolff, who plays Isaac in TFIOS, and his brother Alex Wolff recently talked to Complex about their music and their acting careers. Find the TFIOS & Paper Towns mentions below.


Since you both act and sing, do they ever cross each other?

Alex: Yeah. Almost every movie we’ve done has a song of ours in it. I had a movie calledHairbrained that came out earlier that I have a song in, called “Lose You in the Crowd.” Then I did another called A Birder’s Guide to Everything that had our song called “It’s Just Love” in it. Nat has a song called “Stuck in Love.”

Nat: That song’s in Palo Alto, which is coming out soon. One of Alex’s songs plays on the headphones in The Fault in Our Stars.
How did you approach being cast as Isaac in The Fault In Our Stars? With beloved books, fans get really precious about casting.

Nat: I didn’t care that much about what people thought about the casting. I mean, I don’t worry about it too much because I can’t control it, but I did get a lot of tweets like, "Why aren’t you blonde?" Then finally John Green came out and said, "I don’t care if he isn’t blonde." I had some guy come up to me and go, "You’re the guy who’s playing Isaac, right?" And I’m like, "Yeah." So he responds ,"Don’t fuck it up! He’s my favorite character." It was intense.

How’d you prepare for Isaac’s role?     

Nat: I met with a real guy who’s blind, who had actually been broken up with when he was 19, when he lost his sight. He helped me out a lot technically and also emotionally. I also met with some cancer patients. I was really nervous about going because I didn’t want them to feel like I was using them. Two minutes in, we were talking about movies and music, just like I would talk to anyone else. For the role, it was just hard balancing both. It’s a really upsetting thing going blind and getting broken up with. It's hard to balance the comedy. I had to find the comedy in the darkness, but also not to make fun of it. 
You’re going to star in Paper Towns now. Are you worried you’re going to be typecast in the YA sphere?

Nat: The lucky thing is that Palo Alto is coming out and it’s a huge difference. I’m also doing a movie with Mickey Rourke, who’s one of my favorite actors. I’ve gotten to play a bunch of different characters. The thing that makes me different is that when I don’t have a job acting, I spend all my time doing music. I’ve always had a creative outlet.

Where do you see yourself five years from now acting-wise? 

Alex: I wrote, directed, and acted in a bunch of shorts. Hopefully I’ll be writing, directing, and acting.

Nat: And I just want to get cast in his movies. He makes me audition.
Alex: Yeah, I make him pole dance.

Check out the whole interview at the source.

No comments:

Post a Comment